Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Passing the Salsa

We enjoyed dinner out recently at a favorite Mexican restaurant, and I sat between 4-year-old Mary Ashley and 6-year-old Christian. After a busy week, it felt great to sit down together as a family. As we munched on chips and salsa, Mary Ashley gave me a sweet smile. Dipping her chip into the queso, she told me, "Mommy, when I grow up and I live in a tree house, I'm going to make a flower cake, and if you're still alive then, I will give it to you."

Her statement caught me by surprise, and Christian and I laughed heartily.

"Mary, Mary," her wiser older brother said, shaking his head, "it is very unlikely that Mom will still be alive when you grow up."

Heh-heh-huh? ... Before I go, remind me to leave my share of the chips and salsa to Carson and Emma.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin